Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 23, 2010

I tried a new recipe tonight, it sounded good when I read it. It sounded good as I bought the ingredients. As I started putting it together, I thought to myself "what was I thinking?". Not all recipes are a hit and this one, well, it will not be a repeat in our house. The kids were troopers though they ate it and did not complain. I thought I would go ahead and post the recipe just in case someone else MIGHT like it.

Flavorful Mac and Cheese

7 oz elbow macaroni
8oz mild Mexican cheese sauce
1 1/2 cups chopped ham
8oz crushed pineapple drained
1/2 c chopped green pepper
1/4 c finely chopped onion

Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Stir in the cheese sauce until combined. Add remaining ingredients. Transfer to a serving bowl; serve immediately.

So that recipe above was a bust although my children were awesome troopers. However, the recipe below was a HIT. I think this cheesy concoction being on the table is what encouraged them to endure the horrible mac & cheese dish LOL.

Party Cheese Bread

1/2 cup butter melted
2T. lemon juice
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 found loaf sourdough
1 pound Monterrey jack cheese sliced

In a small bowl combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Cut bread diagonally into 1" slices to within 1/2" of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Arrange cheese slices in cuts. Drizzle butter mixture over bread.
Wrap loaf in foil; place on baking sheet. Bake 350 for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer until cheese is melted.

My adjustments:
I picked up a loaf of SLICED Garlic Sourdough at the bread outlet. I put this in a round baking dish and sliced the opposite direction. I did not have Dijon so I used stone ground mustard. I did not add the garlic powder because there was garlic in the bread. This was sooooo good!

No comments: